Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Never too late, never too old

2018 brings me one year closer to 50. Middle age. What? Me???   WOW...there was a time when I thought OMG 35 is going to be like so old! Then 35 came and I was thinking, hmmm, not so bad.  Now here I am sliding into a half century (that sounds kind of cool) and feeling young and full of life!  I realized that age is a state of mind.  Let's not confuse it with maturity.  There are a lot of people who are 'of a certain age' who behave like small children.  I am a mature woman.  I am confident and unapologetic about it. That doesn't mean that I don't have some insecurities, it just means that I accept them, and embrace that I am not perfect, will never be.  There will always be someone smarter, prettier, etc.  That is ok!  I am who I am.  I have lived a bit...been through some things, birthed and raised children, survived cancer (twice!) been married a LONG time.  I have put in some time.  I think I have some cred now.

A few months ago I came to the realization that I was putting limits on myself because I thought of myself as getting 'old'.  But something inside of me just did not accept that narrative.  I have no problem with aging.  I am going to get wrinkles and gray hair at some point (good genes have held them at bay for the time being).  My mind will say YES you can do it and my body will say OH NO you won't.  But I don't want to put limits on myself.  Will my body say no because it's not strong enough?  Then I have to work on making it strong.  There is nothing unachievable. 

I had the pleasure of spending the evening with an amazing group of young people.  Their energy was so inspiring.  I learned so much! That is another reason I don't want to put limits on myself because of age; I don't want to have all the answers, I want to learn from and connect with others as well as share my life experience and knowledge.  We are all in this thing called life together.  I want to squeeze every bit of goodness out of and share it with others.


No comments: