Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year 2018! Climbing Victory Mountain...Part 2


Pacific City, Oregon Cape Kiwanda State Natural Park Sand Dune



What a way to start the New Year!  I spent the day at Cape Kiwanda in Pacific City climbing the sand dune my friends and I have affectionately named "Victory Mountain" (AKA the Sand wall of death...).  The first time I did it was almost 7 years ago.  Somehow I let my fearless friend talk me into it...again; at least we didn't get a vehicle stuck in the sand!  What was different this time was that I didn't have my love climbing with me looking back telling me to walk where he already made steps.  Telling me I can do it, that there wasn't much more to go-rather he had to sit in a chair at the bottom of the dune because he was too weak to make the climb.

A few thoughts that I had as I tackled that dune.  First, it was HARD! people were strolling by like nothing...there was a toddler passing me by for goodness sake!  Ms. Fearless and her daughter were way ahead, encouraging me on telling me to look for the footsteps that were already there.  I just wanted to turn around and go back.  I was thinking, this was fun, I tried, it's too hard I'm uncomfortable and I don't want to do it anymore.  Kind of like 2017.  Yes, there was some fun times here and there, but I spent a good portion of it telling myself that I just can't do 'it' anymore.  I am tired, I am uncomfortable and I just don't want to do 'this' anymore. It's been 2 years since my last new year post.  It was such a time of sadness and brokenness.  I would love to say things got better but sadly, no.  Oh sure, wonderful things have happened, there have been bright spots, but there are parts of my heart, my mind, my soul that remain broken in pieces that I don't know will ever mend to the place they were. 

I had to keep stopping (because I was sure I would go into cardiac arrest at any moment...).  There was a small log and I told myself that if I just get to it, I can rest then head back down, but that was not the top and the top was not far at all.  That is when people started telling me I can do it, that it wasn't that far, to take my time, no need to rush.  This is just like my real life!  I have had complete strangers in addition to those who know me speak love, life, and encouragement to me.  This little band of people literally stood at the top and told me they were waiting for me to get up there and describing the beautiful view that awaited.  It took me awhile, but I made it, they had fist bumps, high fives, and cheers as I took that last step and saw the beauty awaiting me. Sometimes the thing that gets you over is someone to tell you CAN do it.  
Top of the Sand Dune

The last few years, to be quite honest have been very, very difficult.  As I walked up that dune I thought, if I made it through 2017, surely I can make it to the top, and when I got to the top I thought that if I made it to the top, surely I will make it through 2018.  It was bittersweet to get there.  I wanted my husband to be there to share that moment with me to see the beautiful view. As I struggled to keep my eyes from sweating (from all that exertion) I realized that sometimes though you have to go it alone knowing that there are those who will come along and give you the encouragement you need to keep going.  That is what I will do, I will keep going, keep loving, keep living in 2018!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can relate to this post more than I’d like to, though I find comfort in knowing I’m not alone in this journey. It is heartbreaking being in our position, but love keeps us going. Good thoughts going out to you and your Husband this New Year. 💚